Just wanted to share this
beautiful prayer...just in time
for our Thanksgiving.
Iroquois Prayer of Thanksgiving
- We return thanks to our mother, the earth, which sustains us.
- We return thanks to the rivers and streams, which supply us with water.
- We return thanks to all herbs, which furnish medicines for the cure of our diseases.
- We return thanks to the corn, and to her sisters, the beans and squash, which give us life.
- We return thanks to the bushes and trees, which provide us with fruit.
- We return thanks to the wind, which, moving the air, has banished diseases.
- We return thanks to the moon and the stars, which have given us their light when the sun was gone.
- We return thanks to our grandfather He-no, who has given to us his rain.
- We return thanks to the sun, that he has looked upon the earth with a beneficent eye.
- Lastly, we return thanks to the Great Spirit, in whom is embodied all goodness, and who directs all things for the good of his children.
Hope you all have a good Thanksgiving!